Ultimately, serious illness always brings up the fear of the unknown. This is not so easy for our human egos to handle! We feel we should know the reason for everything, and that everything simply must have a logical answer. Even something as illogical as illness and how we go about healing….
And yet, the fact is that true nature of healing is often more a mystical process more than a logical one. It is a journey into the soul that engages and accesses something much bigger than just the scientific model or allopathic medicine.
And so it is perhaps because of the fear of the unknown and the need to have an answer that leads people to develop spiritual analysis of illness. It’s as if we yearn for sort of guaranteed cosmic order, or a playbook on how life works. After all, if we could only know for sure how God works, then we could then do all the “right” things. And then maybe we could avoid ever getting sick.
Even when we know there is not always a tidy, metaphysical or religious explanation for illness, we still look for one. While having subconscious beliefs on this might help us feel safer in the middle of a chaotic universe, one can only appreciate the impact these ideas have on people who are actually dealing with a serious illness:
1. “All illness is caused by negativity. If you’re ill, obviously, you’re negative. You really need to be more positive.”
2. “If you’re sick, it must be because you lack faith in God. Pray harder.”
3. “Since we all create our own reality through Law of Attraction, you created that you are sick. Why do you suppose you did that?”
4.”It must be God’s will that you’re sick. Maybe you’re just supposed to be sick right now.”
5. “There must be some deep emotional issue you have not dealt with that caused this illness. If you have no idea what that is, you’re obviously out of touch with your own feelings.”
6. “Maybe God is punishing you for something you did. God could cure you instantly if He really wanted to. Repent!”
7. “Maybe you’re sick because you are having trouble keeping up with the cosmic ascension of the universe. You must be a non-Indigo. Wake up or you’ll get left behind by 2012!”
8. “Your illness is because of karma. I am one of 2 people on the planet authorized to clear karma. It will cost you $10,000. If that seems like a lot, ask yourself how much your life is worth.”
I could go on and on, but you get the idea. All these ideas are simply things people have made up to try to explain what cannot be explained sometimes. It creates a false sense of control of how and why things happen the way they do in This Thing Called Life, when the truth is often much more complex than most of us will ever know. What I do know for sure, though, is that when we are dealing with an illness, we need all of our energetic resources. We simply don’t have the extra energy to expend on ideas that drain us, scare us, or result in blaming ourselves that becoming ill is somehow a sign of having fallen short, somewhere.
Let us hold compassion for those struggling with serious conditions. We must recognize and be humbled that there is much we may never fully understand. We never have, and probably never will. There is something bigger than just us going on. And the minute we somehow think we know how God thinks, then we’ve really missed something…
We can always leave room for a miracle. And in the meantime, we do the best we can every day, moving with faith and trust.
Before you go … Would you like a great way to feel better fast when life gets tough and you’re stressed?
Certified energy healer and mentor, helping sensitive, spiritual, perfectionist women create happiness and success in an imperfect world!
Copyright © 2010-2017. Adele Wang. All Rights Reserved